Return to previous page

SafeAir Mercury Badges 382005-50

Color change for Mercury is from white to purple.

The SafeAir Mercury Dual Level badge may be used for personal or area monitoring for exposure time from 15 minutes to 48 hours.

 

Introduction

Mercury is a silver-white, heavy, mobile, liquid metal with no specific odor. It is readily absorbed through the skin, the gastrointestinal tract and the respiratory tract. Chronic exposure may cause inflammation of the mouth and gums, kidney damage, muscle tremors, depression, and nervousness. Mercury spills and heated mercury are particularly hazardous. OSHA and NIOSH exposure limit for mercury is 0.1 mg/m3 (ceiling).

Mercury is used in barometers, thermometers, hydrometers, pyrometers, and in mercury arc lamps producing ultraviolet rays. It is also used in pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals, and antifouling paints